Please visit my page for full details on the Fractured Legacy by Skye Callahan, Book Tour & Giveaway!
Character Interview – Kaylyn
1. How would you compare a year bringing in bail clips with your uncle or working at Aicil Foundation as a paranormal ‘bounty hunter’ investigator?
Well, there’s a lot of adrenaline involved. Both require advance research and planning, even though that all can go out the window in a few seconds. You have to think on your feet and rely on the person who has your back. Crazy as it seems being a bounty hunter is what Cole and I always wanted to do as kids, but we were also obsessed with all things paranormal, so we now have the best–and sometimes worst–of both worlds.
2. What is the most interesting artifact you have ever seen?
Well, there was this… wait, I think that’s classified information. I don’t get to deal with a lot of the artifacts. Sometimes I’m on the team to go pick them up, but a lot of them turn out to be benign as far as we can tell. We hold on to them for safe keeping in case something should come up. They can range from creepy, like wreaths made of human hair, or manuscripts written on skin to everyday objects that gained paranormal power through emotionally charged events or rituals. My training partner told me about a ring that could make the wearer take on the personality and mannerisms of its original owner. Apparently they got quite a laugh when one of the guys in the lab slipped it on and began acting like a lady from the French aristocracy.
3. What is is your biggest fear?
I’m not sure much compares with having an entity turn your life upside down and attempt to kill you and anyone who gets in its way. We still don’t know all of the details, why it was after me, or if it will ever really stop. That’s the scariest thing about doing what we do and knowing what we know–there will always be things we don’t understand, and those things can really screw with your life.
4. If you had an endless amount of money available, what would be the one thing you’d splurge on for just yourself?
Cars! I would buy a fleet of cars starting with a Veyron. I’d also get an Aston Martin, but then I’d have to outdo Jonah.
5. Do you consider lying the worst thing to do in any relationship?
Um… I consider asking me about relationships the worst thing anyone can do. I don’t exactly have a great history in that department. I’m sure I could credit lying with any number of my relationship problems. I’m not quick to trust, and given my choice of profession, it’s all too complicated.
6. If you could trade places in life with your sister Cole, would you?
No way. Have you seen her closet? Honestly though, she’s happy with her life, and I’m happy for her, but I have to take my own path to get there.
7. What is your most treasured possession?
My ’68 Chevelle! She may not be the most impressive car in the world but fixing her up kept me out of a lot of trouble as a teenager. Or maybe Frank, but he’s more of a family member than a possession, so don’t tell him I said that. Sometimes corn snakes get a little cranky.
8. You seem to have a hard time dealing with people with authority, why do you think that is ( Example: The first time you met Jonah and knew he was your new boss)?
Why does everyone think I have a problem with authority? I just have a problem with… people I don’t know telling me what to do… I’d rather rely on my own gut and common sense than be dictated to about policies that some schmuck in an office decided to write decades ago.
9. Do you believe an object can protect your mind, body and spirit from the influence of the paranormal you encounter?
Well, according to Jonah there are charms and other “family secrets” he hasn’t quite explained… but at the end of the case, you saw where that got me. Nothing is foolproof.
10. Do you believe in perfect happiness and if so, what is your idea of perfect happiness?
Hah, no. I’m perfectly happy to be in one piece at the end of a case, but that’s as close as it gets. Nothing in life is perfect and I don’t want it to be. That’d be boring.